Saturday, June 17, 2006

Aloha, again!

Very convenient that "aloha" means both goodbye and hello, huh? Actually, it has even more meanings... a very general positive expression in Hawaii. When in doubt, say "aloha" and you'll be OK.

I must say, Hawaii was pretty amazing. I've been to some very scenic places before, but Oahu is uniquely beautiful. It's just so different than anything you can see here on the mainland. The vegetation is lush, mountains and cool rock formations are everywhere, the water is so clear and bright, and the weather was perfect. (Oahu was hit with heavy flooding earlier in the spring, but it didn't rain once while we were there.). I took a ton of pictures, but looking at them now, even the best ones don't do the island justice.

Our shows were very well received, and the theater wants us to come back, so here's hoping.... Several of us stayed for a week after the last show, and we did a lot of exploring and touring, but there's still so much that I wanted to see, but didn't have time. I would even consider moving there, if it wasn't so expensive. We were told that one bedroom apartments in Honolulu run $3000 to $5000 a month, with fairly average-sized houses running in the millions, and I doubt I'll be affording that any time soon, if ever.

I'll post some pictures here soon that will hopefully capture some of the experience. If you ever get a chance to go yourself, don't hesitate... you won't be disappointed.

No comments: