Sunday, June 25, 2006

Spamalot

Despite my best efforts, the amount of spam I get on a daily basis seems to continually increase. I probably deal with it more than the average person, simply because I have a number of addresses that I maintain for personal and professional reasons. It used to be that you could avoid most spam simply by being careful about what you signed up for and where you posted your address. No more.

I have an e-mail address I created only for use on a trombone discussion list. Because I never used it anywhere else, it generally stayed spam-free... two or three junk messages a month, at most. I unsubscribed from the mailing list last September when I started touring, and haven't checked that address since. So, tonight I re-subscribed and went to download my confirmation e-mail.

It was accompanied by a mere five hundred and seventy-eight spam-flavored friends. This was right after I downloaded and deleted three hundred and sixty-nine messages from my "catch all" account (catches anything addressed to my domain name, whether the address exists or not). Amazingly, that number had accumulated in just the last three weeks....

No comments: